Management & Reporting
2010 Year in retrospect
We are very fortunate to have Sri Kariannur Mana Divakaran Namboothiri as our Tantri and Melsanthi. He is a highly qualified, experienced, respected and sought after personality from Kerala and has served as Melsanthi of Guruvayur Krishna temple.
Besides being a scholar of Hindu scriptures and temple matters he has recently authored a book titled "Kunjatippatukal" that was published in Kerala in 2010 and officially released in Canada as well. This book has since won the "VELLALAM" award in Kerala. Thirumeni's family consists of his wife Ariadevi and daughters Anakha and Arya who both are pursuing their education in Canada. His guidance, leadership and vision have been an immense asset for us in planning construction of this temple and winning the hearts and support of our community. He is a role model for all of us.
Move to Brampton
Opening the temple at the temporary location at 125 Father Tobin Road, Brampton and moving Thirumeni's residence from Caledon have brought us closer to the community. This move was initiated based on the voices from the community. We have noted a higher stream of devotees as well as volunteers since the move. Temple activities have increased and income has improved.
Listing of events undertaken at the temple
In addition to the regular pooja’s – Ayyappa Pooja, Ganapathi Homam, Bhagavathi seva, Navagraha Pooja, Thila homam and Umamaheswara Pooja, the temple conducted the following religious rituals:
January: Bhajan by Noorni Vijay and group.
February: Poonthanam day – Jnanapana Recital
March: Ugadi – Andhra and Kannada New Year – with Vishnu Sahasranamam/Sreesooktham and Panchangasravanam/Parayanam.
April: Vishu Kani, Thrikala Pooja and Sahasranama Archana.
May: Akshaya Thritiya—Thrikala Pooja, Saraswatham, Purushasooktham and Srisooktham Archanas and Nama Japam.
July: Karkitaka Masam – Ganapathi Homam and Bhagavathi Seva for 12 days.
August: Onam – 3 days – Religious Discourse on Vamanavatharam, Pookkalam competition by “Yuvatma” and Ona pattukal.
September: Mahaganapathi Homam at Caledon on GANESH CHATHURTHI DAY, Udith Chaitanya Speech on Bhakti Yoga.
October: Sarpabali, Navarathri Celebration with Kolu. Vidyarambham on Vijayadashami Day.
November: Narayaneeya parayanam on Guruvayur Ekadasi Day. Ayyappa Pooja on all Saturdays during Mandalam.
December: Special Ayyappa Pooja and Vilakku Pooja at Shaw Public School with over 250 Participants. Manjapra Raghu and group conducted bhajan on this occasion. The event was also broadcast on JAYA TV.
Astrologer Narayanan Namboothiri was available for consultation at the Temple, 1 Day every month free of any charges.
Listing of public events conducted by and on behalf of the temple:
- In 2010 KALA organized a “Chitra nite” and donated the proceeds of the evening, almost seventeen thousand dollars towards construction of Guruvayurappan temple. The program was a success and the activities of the temple were well represented to the attendees. Numerous volunteers worked very hard for more than three months under the leadership of Kainila Unnikrishnan, Chair, Fundraising Committee and Dr.Anil Kumar Menon, President of KALA . Satish Kumar Kalathil was the energiser for the lot!
- GTB organized a scaled down version of the annual President’s dinner at Madras Palace, Richmond Hill in October 2010. We were able to collect about twenty five thousand dollars from this event for the building fund, thanks to the generosity of Santha and Purushothaman, owners of Madras Palace. The dinner was well organized and an update on the temple construction was presented. Venky Iyer and Nandita Ramesh entertained the guests with melodious music. Mr.Harry Ananth was a true Master Auctioneer and a vibrant MC. Mr. Hari Vattapilli organized the sound system.
- “Yuvatma”, a new organisation of many temple going youth and their friends has shown keen interest in the temple activities and learning about our culture and heritage. Thirumeni and Mr.Bhaskaran Menon, Executive Director have been their contacts. ”Yuvatma” meticulously organized a picnic that was a tremendous success. It is our endeavour to get our youth interested and involved in the temple activities and train them to assume leadership roles in the years to come.
- GTB as usual enjoyed whole hearted support for all its activities from OHM, KALA and NSS as in previous years and words can not express our gratitude. The temple hopes to remain an umbrella for one and all in the community.
- One of the volunteers of our temple, Dr. Sundararajan, offered free tuition to Grade 10, 11 and 12 students in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics at the temple premises during the summer break of 2010.
- Guruvayurappan Temple of Brampton participated in “adopt a park” program of the City of Brampton by performing the harvest clean-up of the assigned section of Stephen Llewellyn Trail. As agreed upon, the garbage bags (12 of them) were placed at the assigned location (Lamp post No. 12 at the trail behind the Sandalwood heights Sec school) for pick up.
Let us spare a thought for the dedicated volunteers of our temple
We would like to acknowledge the yeomen services of all volunteers who have tirelessly offered their time for the cause of the temple. They are too many to mention by name. These volunteers include the various committee members and others who have helped us in organizing and conducting various functions at and occasionally outside the temple. \
We would also like to place on record our appreciation for the selfless service of Ratna Tiruvalli (Office clerk during week ends), Sankar Thekkepat (Volunteer Manager) and T. Gokuldas, affectionately known as Shashi (Assistant Manager) . They have tirelessly worked in the background and managed the temple office with smiling faces, speed and efficiency.
How can you get involved?
Read more - 2010 Year in retrospect (PDF)